Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Oh my gosh she got out last night and I'm sure got into the

Customer Question
garbage at the apartment and...
Oh my gosh she got out last night and I'm sure got into the garbage at the apartment and her hind legs are barely working this happened b4 with macadamia nuts and I took her straight in and they said wait it out basically but I can't stand seeing her like this and her poo looks really weird
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No its not that
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?
Customer: Nah just that she eats anything she can find she's a lab
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Macadamia nuts can cause rear limb weakness. Is it only her back legs that are involved? Does she seem painful? There are other toxic ingestions that can cause this kind of behavior (marijuana, nicotine, mushrooms, etc) but it could also be an issue with her spine that is affecting her legs. When did she start showing signs?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She had bad gas after getting out and I noticed this morning at 9 she was fine at 4 am
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
only back limbs
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe she got in the garbage the community garbage I don't have Marijuana or anything like that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
R u there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok well I guess that's it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No answer

Sorry. Having issues with the site not posting properly. From what you are describing it sounds like a blood sugar issue. Please give me a moment to type my full response.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Like I said its happened b4 and lasted the day and she was back to normal but I have no idea what she got into so it's a problem her poo looks like it's wrapped in a coating and smells baad

I need to ask a few questions to get a better handle on what is going on with her. Did she eat normally this morning? You said she had gas, but did she pass stool? If so, any diarrhea. The main issues when a dog gets into a community garbage is exposure to a large number of potential toxins. Just because you don't have any marijuana or cigarettes in your garbage does not mean that she could not have gotten into them from a neighbor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her appetite is fine and yes she is passing weird stool so I know it's something she ate
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Like I said looks like there is a skin coating on her stool
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just don't want to take her in to be told there is nothing they can do again
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there anything I can give her to clear out toxins

The casing around the stool sounds like mucous which goes along with getting into the garbage but does not typically go along with the weakness in the back legs. Being a Chihuahua and having a similar episode previously, it may be an issue with her spine. Chichi's can have back problems. It is not a bad idea to take her in. At a minimum any good emergency veterinarian would give her activated charcoal to absorb any potential toxin and they could also tell you if she has any back pain.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is a lab

Sorry. I just realized that I confused her breed. forget the back issue, not with a lab. Most likely ingestion.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which I am aware of....just dont know what I shld do... wait a bit and see if it passes again or take her in.

If she is able to walk, but seems a little unstable in her back legs, then you have some time to watch her. If she gets worse, then she should go in tonight. I was an emergency vet for over 15 years. Macadamia nut toxicities are uncommon, so unless you have a neighbor who has a relative in Hawaii that keeps sending them macadamia nuts, it seems unlikely. Or are you located in Hawaii, which would make it more likely?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The macadamia was about a year ago
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not likely this time I'm in NV and my husband gave her the nuts last time

Yeah, so it seems like lightning striking twice to both times be macadamia nuts. So, it is more likely to be some sort of thrown out medication or wild mushrooms. I would take her in. At least, they can check her out and then if it looks like a toxin, give her activated charcoal to help absorb any remainder in her intestinal tract. Peace of mind.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright im gonna watch her for a few and see how she is doing if it's getting worsenough i will take her in..they didn't offer charcoal last time

Activated charcoal is always offered with an unknown ingestion. Because your husband gave her macadamia nuts, then it was known and is just a waiting game. However a scary one. feel free to post follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread even after rating my response. take care.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see ya im gonna take her in
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maybe I shld of taken her as soon as I noticed

Hindsight is 20/20. Let me know what they say. I am usually on the web until 10 pm. take care

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian