Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 1 year old Weimaraner. His "cheeks" have recently

Customer Question
I have a 1 year...
I have a 1 year old Weimaraner. His "cheeks" have recently become enlarged on both sides. He recently had an issue with a cut on his gums that got infected (about 3 weeks ago) When we went to the vet it happened to be around the time he was due for his shots and bloodwoork. He was positive for anaplasmosis so the vet put him on doxycyline which will treat the anaplasmosis and incidentally the infection in his gums. So he is on a very strong antibiotic so I dont understand where this new swelling is coming from
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No bleeding at all
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Just what appears to be swelling just to the sides of his eyes below his ears His name is Kasper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kasper?
Customer: He is eating regularly but drooling
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Doxycycline is a good antibiotic for tick born diseases, but is not fabulous for issues in the mouth. It will have some impact on an oral infection, but is just not a number one choice. Did your vet state the cause of the infection (dental disease, etc)? If the swelling has just popped up and is around the eyes and extending to the side of his face, then it may be an allergic reaction. If he rubbing his face like it is bothering him?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He had a cut on his gum. Likely from something he chewed on. His teeth and gums are otherwise super healthy. I did notice that his right eye was red and a bit puffy. He is a very "allergic" dog. Things like spider bites will make him swell up like a balloon. He is highly sensitive to that kind of thing

I would definitely give him a dose of benadryl then to see the response. How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
66lbs and I just gave him some thank you!

Your welcome. He could easily have two to three tablets of benadryl. If the swelling is getting worse and starts to involve his muzzle then he needs to be seen at a local emergency clinic for injectable diphenhydramine and steroids. If he is responding to the benadryl, then give him a dose every 8 hours for at least 24 hours from resolution of the swelling. There is also a remote possibility of a reaction to the doxycycline. Please continues to post any follow up questions You can continue posting on this site for a few days, even after rating my response. Take care.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian