Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 4 1/wk puppy died. He was foaming at the mouth and having

Customer Question

My 4 1/wk puppy died. He was foaming at the mouth and having seizures the vet suggest we put her down so they dI'd now another puppy is having signs mini seizure and lots of crying whimpering how can I save him and protect the others at 95 dollars a visit I can't afford it. Litter of 11 - 1 any advice please
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Brandi, I'm sorry to hear of this with your pups. Because more than one is affected, an infectious and contagious disease is most likely. Canine distemper is most common and neospora (a coccidial organism) needs to be considered as well. There's no specific treatment for distemper. We treat supportively and symptomatically but once the nervous form of this infection arises - as it appears to have done - the great majority of pups are lost. Neospora can be addressed with the antibiotic clindamycin which would need to be prescribed by your vet. Once again, however, once the nervous form of this infection has arisen, the great majority of pups are lost. I wish I had some magic for you but you're facing some very serious odds against these pups.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.