Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She's been great all day except after she took a nap about

Customer Question
3-4 hours ago. She woke...
She's been great all day except after she took a nap about 3-4 hours ago. She woke up and didn't eat her treats she looks weak and just sluggish
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chyna Samuels 7 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chyna Samuels?
Customer: She also gets red around her eyes a lot
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Having read your question through I have to say that what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is suddenly lethargic and she has a much reduced appetite makes me think that it is possible that your dog is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in her age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

The chronic red eye is most likely not related to her current situation but this something your vet should check out. It could be a blocked tear ducts for example or perhaps a chronic eye infection just to give two possible causes.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her sudden onset lethargy ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian