Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

5-10 yr old female beagle mix spayed with right sided droopy

Customer Question
hind abdomen and limp on...
5-10 yr old female beagle mix spayed with right sided droopy hind abdomen and limp on right rear leg
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
our Vet is closed today but have a message in to have her seen next week. my husband mentioned that she was getting fat last week but we only noticed this morning that abdomen is only larger on one side. pendulous- not firm or bruised looking. she doesn't seem to mind us touching it either.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello?
10/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to be describing an inguinal hernia - a weakening or tearing in the muscular wall of Mary's abdomen. Complications evidence of such a hernia may include

• Swelling in the groin area, which may become painful and warm to the touch.
  • Vomiting.
  • Pain.
  • Frequent attempts to urinate.
  • Bloody urine.
  • Lack of appetite.
  • Depression.

If Mary is otherwise normal, you can wait until normal hours to have her attended to. Can you upload a photo(s) of this area to our conversation? I'd like to see what that area looks line while she's on her back and while standing. You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
getting the pictures now to upload. she whined (first time) when we tried to put her on her back

Thank you! I'll watch for your next post.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look at the pics, please.

Yes, this is likely to represent an inguinal hernia. I can't rule out that she traumatized the fat in her inguinal area but there should be a history of significant trauma for that to occur. An envenomation by insect or snake is a consideration as well. The diagnosis is straightforward; either X-rays or ultrasound will show a break in the abdominal wall where abdominal contents have herniated through.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no trauma that we are aware of- she is acting fairly normal. so as long as she is drinking, eating and eliminating without issue- and still jumping up on the couch-- you feel it is okay to wait until Monday?

Yes, I do. Keep her as quiet as possible. No jumping up or down or navigating steps. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dr. Salkin- Mary did seem more listless this morning and her limp was more apparent. So we decided to take her to the after hours Vet clinic. The didn't feel that she had a hernia, but understood why you may draw that conclusion. They have drawn some blood and are going to do an ultrasound...but fear that it is likely lymphoma. Thanks for your time and helping us out yesterday. We are staying positive. Kathaleen

Thank you for the update. Lymphoma?! Were peripheral lymph nodes enlarged?

Hi Brett,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mary. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mary is doing okay. She is on pain meds that have seemed to help. She is eating fine but still seems sore. The blood test came back normal. White blood cell count was not high or low. Ultrasound showed that the lymph noded in rr leg was swollen twice the size of the left. No other lymph nodes were enlarged and other organs seemed fine. We see our vet tomorrow to get more information and see what is next. Thank you for you help!

Thank you for the update. Lymph nodes drain areas of inflammation and then will inflame themselves. That sounds more likely than the lymph node itself being "sick". A needle aspirate of that node should be considered.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Your right on. I beleive that is what the er vet said would most likely be the next step.
Thanks again!

Keep me posted, please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yesterday our Vet saw more and he thought she just has some sort on inflammation of that lone lymph node. She had a fever at the time. Blood work came back negative today and she started antibiotics and a anti inflammatory yesterday. She seems more acitve already today!
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian