Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog (a six pound pure bred Maltese) gets a milky film in…

My dog (a six pound...
My dog (a six pound pure bred Maltese) gets a milky white film in her eyes that collects and hardens on the rim of her eyes when she sleeps or closes her eyes for some time. At times this substance seems to cover her whole eye. I wet it with lukewarm water to soften it and try to remove it all so that it doesn't bother her but it's a vicious cycle. I've tried refresh eyes tear replacement drops as my vet says she doesn't produce enough tears. I've also tried with no success an antibiotic called Trobramycin. I know her eyes are irritated/infected because the whites of her eyes are pinkish and sometimes almost red. Can you tell me what the problem might be? I'm concerned this may lead to future blindness.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/22/2016
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, if Stella has a thick mucoid discharge and less tear production then she should this suggests that she has an autoimmune condition called keratoconjunctivitis sicca (also known as "dry eye"). This is where the immune system attacks the tear ducts and in turn reduces tear production.

In regards ***** ***** while using plain eye drops as often as possible to replace her deficient tear production can help; you would need to speak to her vet about eye drops to counter her body's attack on the tear ducts. Commonly these will be cyclosporine based and if we can halt the damage to the tear duct, it can improve tear flow and thus reduce her signs. Or there are surgical options (where we move the salivary gland duct to the eye to lubricate the eye that way) if medicating her isn't possible. And that way with these we can prevent future ulcers and damage to the eye that could lead to blindness but also loss of the eye.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you that is more of an explanation than I have been able to receive. I will certainly seek more treatment from my vet.Dolores

You are very welcome, Dolores.

I am glad I could shed some light on this for you and that sounds like a perfect plan of action for wee Stella. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.