Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is not pooping, he is straining, and only clear fluid

Customer Question

My dog is not pooping, he is straining, and only clear fluid coming out. drinking water, still happy , ate his food still want to go for walks. vomited last night dinner. but hasnt eaten until tonight. concern of blockage but unsure, i palpated stomach and no disconfort
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Hes humping- very out of character but not sure if thats his way of trying to move the stool. i dont want to panic but i want to help him go
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he had these signs?

How old is he and is he neutered?

When did he last pass a stool? Was it normal, diarrhea, or hard?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?