Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

He is panting and shaking like crazy. He is on pred (for a

Customer Question

He is panting and shaking like crazy. He is on pred (for a typical Addison ) and Gabapentin, can I give him Tramadol also?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He is a pug, Winston and weighs 26# ***** ***** 1/2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winston?
Customer: He was given a shot today for nausea, as he was throwing up yesterday. Boos work was done and was norm
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Winston eat anything unusual?
Customer: Blood*
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Winston please?

I don't see a contraindication to tramadol dosed at 2-5 mg/lb up to every 3 hours. My only concern is that it might mask a heretofore undiagnosed disorder. Severe panting and shaking has many possible etiologies. For example, excessive panting can represent both medical and behavioral problems. It's often seen with elevated ambient temperature, exercise, anxiety, or perceived pain. To confound the diagnosis further, it's also seen with fever, narcotic administration, glucocorticosteroid (prednisone, e.g.) therapy, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism, hypocalcemia, pheocromocytoma (an adrenal gland tumor), cardiac disease, tachyarrhythmias (fast irregular heart rates), brain disease and obesity.