Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Have a 6 wk old puppy it has not peed or poop in 3 days and

Customer Question
all it does is lay...
Have a 6 wk old puppy it has not peed or poop in 3 days and all it does is lay around
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: I haven't named her yet
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She does cry out every so often
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is she a bottle fed baby?

Is her belly distended?

Any straining?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She eats puppy soft food.
It is a little distended but she is not straining it like she don't care.

Thank you,

If she is on soft food, can you tell me if she is eating normally?

Since she isn't actively trying to go, are you sure she could not have gone without you seeing?

Or does she seem quite collapsed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She only eats if I pick her up and put her in front of it.
She doesn't move just stays laying down
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is in my house so I would no if she used the bathroom
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I need to get something to get water down her.

Thank you,

Now at her age, we would expect this pup to be quite regular with her urination and stool passage. Therefore, if it has been days since passed either, we do need to tread with care. Urinary toxins can reflux back into the blood stream and cause them to become lethargic and even die if we don’t get them passing urine. And feces retained can lead to painful constipation.

Now we are limited in how we can encourage her to pass urine. Though you can gently apply pressure to her bladder to encourage her to go. Of course, don’t’ squeeze hard since we don’t want to damage the bladder by doing so. Otherwise, we’d want to keep her taking fluids and/or adding water to her soft food.

In regards ***** ***** stools, we can treat her with OTC cat hairball treatment to help lubricate her gut to pass stool. As well, canned pumpkin is a great fiber source we can mix into her meals to bulk up her stools and get things moving. And if she was straining, we could even try a bit of cow’s milk to just increase her gut movement and get her passing this for us.

Overall, we do need to tread with care if she hasn’t passed stool or urine in 3 days. Especially the lack of urination. So, we do need to gently get her drinking and use the above to get things moving. Though if she doesn't respond to that or remains so lethargic, then we may need her seen urgently to make sure she hasn't a urinary issue that needs to be addressed before she fades on us.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate me as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian