Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog all of a sudden sad, doesn't wag tail and whining a lot.

Customer Question
just not got behind me...
dog all of a sudden sad, doesn't wag tail and whining a lot. just not got behind me almost like scared. parents says she would touch her belly and she'd whine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it happened from one day to another. have no idea what it could be
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How old is Lily?
2) Is she still eating and drinking well?
3) Is she allowed to jump on an off of elevated surfaces, such as furniture and the porch?
4) Any history of illness or injury?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she's about 4 years old.
to be honest I haven't seen her eat or drink. we have three other dogs so I haven't noticed if she has or not.
We don't normally let her on furniture.
and she really hasn't had any history of illness or injury, she's had upset stomach in the past do to changing there food. But other than that nothing.

There are two things that concern me right off.

1) Dogs are prone to stomach upsets.
2) Dogs are prone to neck and back problems--see more info below.

The sudden onset of whining, not wagging her tail, fear-like behavior, and tenderness in the abdomen are also symptoms we see with back issues, though they can certainly suggest stomach issues as well. If you're not seeing vomiting or stool issues, I wouldn't discount a back issue just yet. Stomach issues usually onset slowly where back or neck issues tend to have a more spontaneous onset, in my experience.

One thing that can be done overnight to give her some relief, if this is a stomach problem, is to give regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. You can also use a bland diet for her of boiled rice and chicken breast.

More than likely, she is going to need to be seen by your vet tomorrow morning for an exam. X-rays of the neck and back, if your vet can still elicit a pain reflex, may be indicated. In many cases where there is back pain, rest and oral medications help greatly. Often prescribed are canine-safe NSAIDs, muscle relaxers and pain medication.

More info here: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/
and here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_intervertebral_disc_disease

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well just now there was a bit of stool on the floor which I could only assume it was hers. she had pooped and peed in different spots. So I don't know if that changes anything.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also read it's possible to give dogs pepto-bismol with a minimum dose. I haven't done it but is that possible to do?

Was the stool normal in consistency?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was a mix of both solid and other areas was a little watery stool.

You can give pepto. I personally prefer Pepcid because it works better, but if you have pepto on hand you can give one teaspoon per 20 pounds of weight every 4-6 hours for 24 hours. However, if she is not greatly improved by morning, I would see your vet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I spoke to my mom and she says that she does eat and drink but that when she tries to pick her up she whines as if something is hurting her.

I highly suspect it's her back.

Checking in, W. How is Lily today? Was there a definitive diagnosis determined today? How is her treatment coming along?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian