Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

About a week ago, my ten year old affenpinscher started to

Customer Question

About a week ago, my ten year old affenpinscher started to have a red eye with a lot of discharge and it was very itchy. A gave it a few days and two days ago started using some gentamicin sulfate .3% two drops every 8 hours that I had. My husband decided to "clean" the goop under and around his eye by pulling the crust off the fur. This morning he has a large swollen bump about the size of a quarter directly under his eye that looks a bit raw. (On the skin not on the eye or lid) I am assuming that the pulling irritated it but I am wondering could the excess discharge, crust and itchiness be related to the bump/cyst and it isn't conjunctivitis like I assumed?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like the discharge is what caused the redness to the lower eyelid. That's not too uncommon with there is gunk that gets caked to the hair below the eyes.

The question now is whether this is an allergic conjunctivitis or an ulcer to the cornea. If it's an ulcer, then we would ideally use a broad spectrum antibiotic drop like Neo-Poly-Gram. If it's conjunctivitis, this is usually allergic in dogs and we treat with a steroid drop.

The eyelid irritation will resolve once the discharge resolves.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.