Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She is having diarrhea and throws up after drinking water,

Customer Question
She is having diarrhea and...
She is having diarrhea and throws up after drinking water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Over the weekend she are a full corn dog without the stick and chewed up a sticky spider trap
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly just over a year
JA: How old is Molly?
Customer: 1 year
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?
Customer: Besides throwing up and pooping a lot she send to be acting normal
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any blood in the stool?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Breed?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. My wife says the stool looked a little red ish and might have bad blood but that wasn't confirmed
2. It has been going on mildly since Monday evening but send to be worse today.
3. 35lbs
4. Brittany spaniel
5. Can't seem to keep anything down

Did she swallow the spider trap or just chewed on it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mostly just chewed. I found the various pieces that were missing around the house

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

I am sorry that you are having this problem with Molly. As you may already know vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, in a young dog like Molly common causes are dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes.

I am going to make some recommendations that you can try at home if she continues to vomit the next step would be a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 3/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting she can continue to have water but hold on the food for 12-16 hours. Then, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and x-rays as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian