Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 2 year old rottie is terrified of the vet so she has

Customer Question

my 2 year old rottie is terrified of the vet so she has prescribed 2 tablets 25 mg od acepromazine and 4 po of phenobarbital for sedation.i feel this is way too much. may i have your advice?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She has to have a booster shot, nails trimmed and ears cleaned.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Milla
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Milla?
Customer: She is a rescue and has trust issues other than that no. very loving
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The use of acepromazine concomitant with phenobarbital isn't necessarily contraindicated but the potential risks need to be weighed and additional monitoring considered. In general, additive central nervous system depression will oocur if a barbiturate such as phenobarbital is given concomitantly with acepromazine. Can you clarify "4 po" of phenobarbital, please? Phenobarbital is usually dosed as mg (milligrams) or gr (grains). How much does Milla weigh, please?