Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 4 month old Maltese/Cocker mix. He just chewed up a

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 4...
Hello, I have a 4 month old Maltese/Cocker mix. He just chewed up a stem of a Bird of Paradise plant. Are they poisonous and what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the Maltese ate?
Customer: Yes, he just chewed up the stem of the plant
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Maltese?
Customer: No, he's a very healthy puppy. He did just throw up a little, but is resting now. seems normal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now most of our common Bird of Paradise plants will cause GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, etc) and lethargy. Usually the fruit/seeds are the most toxic part but we could see GI upset with the stem as well.

Now if he just had this we do have 2 options. If he just ate this and if you think he had quite a bit, then we could induce vomiting now. To do so at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise, we can monitor and treat symptomatically for any GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And of course, if he was very nauseous, then we’d want his vet to use injectable anti-vomiting medication to soothe his stomach after this misadventure with Bird of Paradise.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian