Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 90 lb lab ate some grapes...we aren't sure how many.

JA: I'm sorry to hear...
our 90 lb lab ate some grapes...we aren't sure how many.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jake 4 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jake?
Customer: no, otherwise he is healthy.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/19/2016
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Jake. Do you have any idea how long ago he ate the grapes? Does he have any underlying health problems?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He ate them an hour ago. He doesn't have any other issues.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I take him to my vet so that they can make him throw up?

Ok. I would recommend inducing vomiting then, to see if we can get him to vomit up the grapes, particularly if we don't know how many he ate. Some dogs are more sensitive to grapes and raisins than others, and there is no way to truly tell which your dog will be. Some dogs eat them with no issue, but in others it can cause kidney issues.

Do you have 3% hydrogen peroxide at home? How much does your dog weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we have hydro peroxide. He is 95 lbs.

Ok. You can give him about 45 ml of hydorgen peroxide orally. Then walk him around on a leash so that if he vomits, you can get him away from the vomit right away (some silly dogs will try to eat the vomit afterwards!). If no vomiting occurs, you can repeat this one time (and only one time, or damage to the stomahc/esophagus can occur).

If you do not want to induce vomiting at home, then you can take him in to your vets office to induce vomiting. If you give the peroxide, and no vomiting occurs, or if he vomits, but the grapes do not come up, then I would take him in to your vet. They can give a special injection to induce vomiting and activated charcoal to help decrease absorption of the grapes.

Here is a little article on grape toxicity: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3550 FYI

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. We've decided to let the vet induce vomiting.

You are welcome! It is less messy that way and they have more effective means of doing so!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question.

Thank you and best of luck to you and your lab!!!

Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian