Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have 6 miniature puppies (5 weeks old) and they are

Customer Question
straining to poop and it...
I have 6 miniature puppies (5 weeks old) and they are straining to poop and it gets stuck in the rectum. I have taken a warm water paper towel and wipe it and in most cases they have a poop then but it is happening more in the last day. Their mom was cleaning them and keeping them clean and feeding them but now that is weeing and I began feeding them with puppy food with some puppy milk sprinkled on it and now with water I am starting to notice this happening. Can you give me some insight. They have had their tails docked and wondered if this could have anything to do with that. We had one other litter and no problems with this before but we also had those puppies tails docked later in age. Thanks for any insight you can give me.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Well they are six puppies with no names yet?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about yet?
Customer: No I think I gave you all the info. I will say the other set were fed Blue puppy food and this set we have been using Purina Puppy Chow. Wondering if I should get the Blue again.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this problem with you puppies.

I do have a few additional questions to ask about them first:

1. Are their stools loose or really firm?

2. Are they otherwise eating and active?

3. Did this issue start when you began feeding them Purina Puppy Chow?

4. Have you wormed them? If so, when and what did you use?

Thanks, Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A few times but most regular stools.
Eating and active. Some more playful then others. At times. When I started feeding them is when I saw the change. Their mom did work prior so if issue I did not know.. They have not been wormed yet.

Thanks for the answers to my questions although I'm sorry I was off my computer when you responded back.

That's great that they're not otherwise acting ill.

At this age, there's usually going to be either one of two issues which might cause straining or problems with the stools:

1. By far, internal parasites such as round worms are often going to be the problem since they're commonly seen in puppies this young. It should be relatively easy to worm all of them (including mom) with Pyrantal Pamoate which is available at most pet or grain stores. It goes by Strongid, Nemex or Evict (and possibly other names) but the active ingredient is the same. The dosage amount is listed on the label. I tend to worm every two weeks for three doses.

Since this is such a safe wormer, it can be given every week, if necessary, and no harmful side effects would be expected.

2. It's possible that the puppy food you're feeding them is the culprit. If that's the case, then I'd feed what you fed your previous litter but I'd omit the puppy milk (which I assume is milk replacer). They don't really need it at this point and it may also be causing some issues.

I'd also add a daily probiotic such as Forti-Flora which may be found at local pet/grain stores or may be purchased online. Not only can probiotics help with gastrointestinal issues but it can also help to strengthen the immune system.

I hope this helps. Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your puppies. I was wondering how things are going with them? Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian