Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She has a lesson on her liver and I do not not what to do

Customer Question

She has a lesson on her liver and I do not not what to do three months a go she has spina cell sarcoma the removed the tumor and now she has a lesson on her liver and I do not no what to do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Yorkie 5.2 ld 6 years old
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the's name?
Customer: Name of what
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the animal?
Customer: He is her dr and I need to make a decision on should he go in and remove the lesson
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can some one call me now a dr
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank u

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Was the "lesion" on her liver discovered when a search for metastasis was made once the spindle cell sarcomas was confirmed and removed? If so, you have the choice of needle biopsying that lesion under ultrasound guidance or surgically exploring your Yorkie's abdomen and removing the lesion at that time. It may or may not represent a metastatic lesion; in other words, it might not be related to her sarcoma. There are many benign neoplasms of the liver such as hepatic ademoma, nodular hyperplasia, and nodular regeneration. Do you know if her liver enzymes are normal. Is she otherwise well?

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All I no is that her white blood cell count was 61ooo and she is on iv fluids.should I have it removed or should I leave it alone I no when she had the tumor in her spleen removed 4 months later this is what happen . The dr said when he was in her liver look fine and now this...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The dr did tell me that her. Spend a cell sarcoma it did come back posting for cancer

It's reasonable to assume that a spindle cell sarcoma of the spleen has metastasized to her liver. If that's the case, median survival after surgery is variable but expected to be less than a year. Such an elevated white blood cell count indicates severe inflammation but not the cause of that inflammation. Once again, metastatic cancer is most likely the cause of the inflammation, however. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What do u think I should do have it remove or leave it alone..

If you don't have financial constraints and want her to have every chance of living, exploring her abdomen is indicated. If you do have financial constraints and are a pragmatic caretaker, I would see if she can be stabilized at this time without surgical intervention. If she couldn't be stabilized without surgery, her prognosis with surgery would still be poor to grave.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I really do not no what to do should I have him remove it or just leave her alone and bring her home..I was thing if it spread fom the spleen to lesson on her liver it is agressive with in the 4 months.r

Yes, that's my primary concern - an aggressive cancer that has already metastasized. I wouldn't open my pet a second time but I can't make that decision for you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is their any thing I can give her to keep her liver clean..
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is their a special diet I should put her on

Antioxidants such as silymarin and SAMe are used in that regard but they won't be of much value if the liver is cancerous. Similarly, a liver diet (low amount of high quality protein) can't address a cancer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do u think that the cancer spread to her liver that's why she has a lesson. .on her liver

Yes, by the principle of Occam's Razor, her splenic cancer has spread to her liver.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Wow so it's best I just bring her home and keep her convertible

That would be my choice, yes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank u I'd I have any more questions it's Ok for me to chat back with u

Yes, I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.