Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog, 1/2 lab 1/2 newfoundland, just threw up a few pieces

my dog, 1/2 lab 1/2 newfoundland, just threw up a few pieces of a towel that we thought he may have eaten 3 days ago. He has been acting fine, stool is a little softer and skinnier than normal but not diarrhea. eats and drinks normal. Should we take him to an emergency vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Shadow
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shadow?
Customer: very happy, healthy 2 yaer old dog year

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It doesn't really sound like an emergency situation to me. If he is eating, drinking and acting normal otherwise; there is no reason to not just monitor him. If he continues to vomit, stops eating, has bloody stool or has abdominal pain; then he needs to be seen by a vet for sure. At this point, if you took him into the vet, they may want to take x-rays to see if his intestinal tract looks obstructed. If he is eating well, that is most likely not the case. From that point, your options would be to just monitor him, put an endoscopy into his stomach to look for any more towel and attempt to retrieve it or do exploratory surgery. In my opinion, the latter two would be a little extreme at this point if he is eating and acting normal. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very much. We appreciate your advice and quick response.

You are very welcome. Please let me know if you have further concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John