Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a question for about coughing and adequan.

I have a question for...
I have a question for Rebecca about coughing and adequan.
10/18/2016
Camille-Mod
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience. Best, Camille
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Max is coughing occasionally so we are worried if this is some heart problem or kennel cough, or even heart failure?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is Rebecca online?
HI, I am sorry, Rebecca has been unavailable, would you like me to open your question to other experts or would you prefer to wait for Rebecca?
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. What question can I answer for you in Rebecca's absence?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, we would like to wait for Rebecca

I'll be happy to opt out. Good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have a question about coughing
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Hi!

Sorry, I have been out of the country! What can I do for you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, we're so glad you are available!
We had some questions about coughing. Max started coughing a few days ago maybe after every 15-20 minutes? So we took him to the vet and was given hydrocodon. Is this medication going to treat the cough or is it just masking the symptom?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has almost stopped coughing after being on the meds. At most, he coughs maybe 3-4 times a day.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The vet did listen to his heart and said he has some arrhythmia. Could this cause coughing? Could this be congestive heart failure?

Hi!

Hydrocodone is a cough suppressant, so in one way it does just treat the symptoms. However, coughing can become a "vicious cycle": the more you cough, the more the inflammation, the more you cough, so suppressing the cough so the inflammation can heal is useful.

An arrhythmia by itself would not cause a cough, but if the arrhythmia leads to diminished heart function, heart failure, and that leads to congestive heart disease (fluid in the lungs from heart function being decreased) that can cause coughing.

A chest Xray should show you if there is congestive heart disease.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is long term hydrocodon harmful? For about two weeks?

I have many dogs on it for years if they need it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can the hydrocodon fix the coughing problem completely or do we need to find the underlying issue?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does hydrocodon react with atopica? Or high liver enzymes?

It depends on what the underlying issue is. It would be best to find out what that is.

Hydrocodone is not listed as unsafe to give with Atopica or to give with caution.

I would continue to monitor the liver enzymes, just to be safe.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it is kennel cough, can hydrocodone treat it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it is congestive heart failure, will we have seen the symptoms get worse even with hydrocodon?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can the vet detect congestive heart failure just by listening to the heart?

If it is kennel cough, hydrocodone would help with the cough but antibiotics may also be needed.

If it is congestive failure, I would expect the cough to get eventually worse even with hydrocodone.

You need Xrays not just a stethoscope to diagnose congestive heart disease.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have about four days of hydrocodone left. He has been taking it for about one and a half weeks now. If it is congestive heart failure, can the heart condition get worse if we keep giving him hydrocodone (which has been suppressing the cough)? What is the rate at which heart conditions can get worse or dangerous?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it possible for the coughing to completely go away with just administering hydrocodon?

It should not make a heart condition worse, but probably won't make it better.

Without knowing if there is a heart condition and what the condition is, it is hard to say at what rate it could become dangerous.

If the cough is due to inflammation, allergy, etc. it might go away with just a cough suppressant like hydrocodone.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wish I could upload the video of the cough but it does not allow me to add the file. It is a dry cough sound. Can heart related issue cause this dry airy cough?

Usually a cough with congestive heart disease sounds moist because it is due to fluid building up in the lungs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Other than kennel cough, are there other possibilities of dry coughing?

Yes: allergies, collapsing trachea, bronchitis, infections other than kennel cough.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it is congestive heart failure, would we see other symptoms in early stages? And to clarify, so even with hydrocodon he would cough?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is taking quarter pill twice a day.

If it is congestive heart disease, the hydrocodone might control the cough initially, but not indefinitely. Coughing would be the main symptom in early stages.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there possibility that congestive heart disease can produce dry airy coughs? Or is it always a moist cough?

It could start sounding dry, but a cough from congestive heart disease is a cough trying to bring up fluid in the lungs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We're not sure what we should do. Max started coughing about 1.5 weeks ago and we went to the vet right away and they gave us hydrocodone, which stopped the cough. So now, he coughs at most only 3-4 coughs a day. Before hydrocodone, he coughed every 20 minutes. We are worried that the reason for this coughing is because of the heart because he has a slight arrhythmia. We asked about chest x-ray but they said we don't need to take an x-ray. The only examination that happened was just listening to his heart. I think they want us to take more hydrocodone after the prescription ends in two days. Is coughing a non-serious matter?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it is a heart related matter, can the heart get worse as we are giving hydrocodone for 2+ weeks?

Coughing may not be serious, but it can be. I would consider a chest xray, if the coughing continues.

If it is a heart problem, being on hydrocodone should not make heart disease worse.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But as the hydrocodone is suppressing the cough, can the heart condition decline if the reason for the coughing is because of some heart issue? As the hydrocodone is masking the symptom?

If there is heart disease, suppressing the cough will not make the underlying heart condition better, or worse. The heart condition will probably progress.

If you are worried, have a chest Xray to see if the heart is enlarged, if there is fluid in the lungs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But if it is a heart issue, the coughing will continue even while on hydrocodone?

It might or might not. It depends on how severe and how advanced the heart disease is, what kind of heart disease, etc.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We really want to take the x ray but the vet says we don't have to.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is long term hydrocodone bad? For about 3 weeks?

Long term hydrocodone should not be bad. I have had dogs on it for years.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it normal for vets to prescribe hydrocodone for three weeks without taking an x-ray?

That depends on the veterinarian. I would offer an Xray to most owners of a coughing dog, especially if the cough was persistent.

How is Max doing? Do you have any more questions on this thread?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has two pills of hydrocodon left and he is not coughing much, at most two coughs per day. Can we rate this question now and then ask follow up questions when he is off of the hydrocodone?

Of course you can.

Good the cough is getting better, thanks for the update.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating and bonus!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, we had a follow up question. So could the coughing be because of heartworm? Can Hydrocodone suppress the cough from the heartworm? We live in WA state and our vet said we do not need heartworm prevention.

Heart worm does cause coughing, and hydrocodone would suppress such a cough. Heart worm seems unlikely in the state of Washington, but if you are worried then have a simple blood test done to find out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would there be other symptoms for heartworm?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Except coughing while on hydrocodon?

Coughing is the main symptom with heartworm, then you may see weight loss. The blood test will tell you if this is heartworm

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your answers. So Max did not take any hydrocodone yesterday and today morning, and he is not coughing at all. Do you think if he has a heart issue, such as congestive heart disease, he would cough when he didn't take hydrocodone for a day? He has been taking hydrocodone for about 1.5 weeks and yesterday was the day we ran out of the medication.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have not heard him cough this morning as well.

I can't say for sure he does not have heart issues, but it is a good sign his coughing has stopped.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has not coughed and it's been 2.5 days since his last dose. Does this mean it is not a heart issue?

The longer he goes without coughing the less likely that the cough was due to a heart problem. I can't say for certain he does not have heart disease without being able to listen to him with a stethoscope or see a chest Xray.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your helpful answers, we really appreciate it!

You are welcome!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian