Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dixie, 3 year old, spayed, spotting blood occasional and

Customer Question
licks herself after urinating....
Dixie, 3 year old, spayed, spotting blood occasional and licks herself after urinating. UTI? Contacted Vet, cannot afford to take her. Please help. Thank you.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about UTI?
Customer: She whines a little more, wants to be close to me. Doesn't seem to run fever (wet, cool nose). not as playful as usual.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am very sorry that Dixie has occasional blood and sometimes licks at the end of her urination.

There are many reasons to have blood in the urine or bleeding from vulva.

We often think of an infection but also crystals or stones in the urinary tract, masses in the vagina, or in the urinary or reproductive tract or clotting disorders are possible causes.

If she was an unspayed female endometritis or a pyometra are possible causes as well, although in her case being spayed that should not be an issue. Rarely a small piece of ovary is accidentally left behind and that can lead to heat cycles and all of the physical signs of a heat and a secondary reproductive tract infection. If her vulva is very swollen that would be possible.

Are her gums and tongue white, pale pink or bubble gum pink? If they are nice and pink then she likely hasn't lost enough blood to make her anemic and that is a good sign.

Is she bleeding only when she passes urine or does the bleeding ever seem independent of passing urine?

If the bleeding is only when she passes urine then concerns would be a genitourinary tract infection, crystals or stones in her urinary tract, a clotting abnormality or a mass in her urinary or reproductive tract.

If the bleeding is ever independent of her passing urine the concerns would be trauma to her reproductive tract, a mass in her lower reproductive tract, or a clotting abnormality.

She does need to see a veterinarian.

If she were my patient I'd start with a urinalysis with culture and radiographs of her abdomen to look at her kidneys and bladder for signs of stones and the size and shape of her reproductive tract. We may need an abdominal ultrasound to identify some urinary calculi and masses in her bladder or reproductive tract. If she had pale gums signifying significant blood loss then I would want to check her clotting function too.

If money was very tight and there were signs of infection on the urinalysis then an antibiotic prescription for 10 to 14 days would be reasonable to start.

If I saw lots of crystals or abnormal looking cells on the urinalysis I'd warn the owner that things may be more serious.

And I'd recommend a recheck of her urine at the end of the antibiotic therapy. If there was still blood then radiographs or an ultrasound of her bladder/kidneys is needed.

All you can do for her at home is encourage fluid intake to flush out her urinary tract. Add water or low salt beef or chicken broth to her food or feed her canned food to encourage eating and increase her fluid intake.

Give her ice cubes. Offer her fresh water frequently.

And make sure she gets out frequently to urinate.

If she is straining but unable to pass urine, is vomiting, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure, or her gums become very pale it is time for emergency veterinary care.

If your regular veterinarian is beyond your means financially now your other option is to contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.

If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state

Other sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian