Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

About 1X every ot month my dog gets really bad rashes which

Customer Question
he chews on sometimes until...
About 1X every ot month my dog gets really bad rashes which he chews on sometimes until they bleed period I have brought him to the vet who has given him cortisone shots and sometimes antibiotics. I currently have him on Trifexis And as of last month that vector which the doctor said was a flea repellent vs. Trifexis which kills the fleas after they bite. I'm sure a flea bite does trigger this but I also notice it can occur after taking him for walks on Trails where there are miscellaneous grass weeds bushes etc. I'm pretty sure he has an allergy to something outside. When this gets bad I give him Benadry l and put a hood on him until it goes away that usually takes a week. He's been on the same food for Over a year so I did not think it’s a food allergy. Any suggestions would be appreciated I also have photos of his rash whic is under his belly on and around his tail and under his arm pits. He itches all over however. He is a 10yo Jack Russel that's very healthy otherwise. I have a 16 year old ***** ***** female that he lives with and she has no issues although they are from completely different bloodlines. Thank you!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried to edit ? but did not work. Replace " last month that "vector" with "Vectra 3D" which is the new flea med my dog has been on for 2 months. He's an indoor dog and the house is immaculate. No carpet all hardwood and very little interaction with other dogs. Maybe 1X every 2 weeks for a couple minutes on a trail
10/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 year ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Since it only seems to happen about once a month or so, it may be an allergic reaction to something that he is only coming into contact with once a month or so. It doesn't have to be his food. It could be a human food treat, a doggie treat, a lawn treatment, almost anything including a pollen or cleaning supply. The possible allergen could be anything.

The allergy would likely start with a rash as a reaction which would cause the dog to itch a little, damage the skin and allow staph which is usually present on a dog to develop into a staph or yeast dermatitis.

. These skin conditions are generally seen with allergies. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet. Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours for itching due to allergies.

You can read about allergies here: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

Given his age, allergy testing might not be cost effective, but it would be helpful in allowing you to avoid the allergen. You might also see if desensitization shots might stop the issue.

http://www.vetrespit.com/why-respit.html

I hope this information is helpful to you and I've given you some things to think about and discuss with your vet. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner