Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is having stomach discomfort. Can I give her

dicyclomine and what dosage? JA: I'm...
My dog is having stomach discomfort. Can I give her dicyclomine and what dosage?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Angie is 13 years old she weighs 25 pounds
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Angie?
Customer: she has neck problems but it's her stomach that hurts she's making weird faces and her stomach is rumbling
10/17/2016
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear that your Angie is having stomach upset. This medication is not commonly used in dogs. I can certainly give you a dosage but it is not as effective in dogs and can have potential side effects in comparison to other options. At 25 pounds (11.4 kg) the dosage is 0.2 mg/kg or 2.3 mg every 8 hours. It is contraindicated in moderately ill pets and pets with underlying kidney issues

My recommendations include:

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) or 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach

- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the gurgling stomach and pain

- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting

- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, gurgling, nausea, and entice the appetite but if not up for it that is also alright

Indications of cause for concern:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian