Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is not sleeping during the night is waking up and

My dog is not sleeping during the night is waking up and baking he is 11 years old ii have done everything and I can't figure out what else is wrong
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tanner he is drinking and ratting well
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tanner?
Customer: Eating

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Tanner is restless at night, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The first thing to do is to have your dog's general health checked over by your vet in cases there is a medical condition which is contributing towards the behaviour which you are seeing. This is always possible ...

2. If Tanner then gets the all clear then consider asking your vet about Melatonin tablets { This is an over the counter drug by the way }, it has been used to help correct sleep patterns in dog's that are very active at night and not sleeping at the right time. This can sometimes occur in dogs ( sundowner syndrome ) Basically it helps re-sets the animal’s biological clock so they are active during the day and sleep at night.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on the use of Melatonin in dogs including dose rates etc. : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can I buy it at the grocery store

I doubt if you will see Melatonin in the average grocery store, but most drug stores will stock it ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Tanner is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his sleeping issues ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What dosage can I give him he is still not sleeping great I took him for a walk this afternoon so I am going to see how well he does tonight he's been awake all afternoon and evening

Please tell me how much Tanner weighs { In pounds } and I can suggest a dosage for him ...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Don't have the money to talk on the phone he weighs 50 lbs

No problem with the phone call.

For a dog of Tanner's size you might want to try 3 mg of Melatonin up to three times a day.

Also try taking him for a longer walk later in the evening.

Please let me know how you get on ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok

.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is some what issleeping though the night but he has some behaviour issues by digging andpawing at closed doors

Good he is sleeping through the night, it may be an idea to halve the melatonin dose to see if this makes a difference to the behavioural issues.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He was doing this even before but not as much

It seems odd I know but with this drug sometimes a lower dose can be more effective than higher doses.

Worth a try ...

Dr Scott