Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I say sit for an old lab. He is 13. We went on a small walk

Customer Question

I say sit for an old lab. He is 13. We went on a small walk today and towards the end he became very wobbly and disoriented.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I will have to look again. But it looked like maybe his hips? He has been. Breathing very heavy since the walk too.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: I don't think so, he's on old happy dog. It really scared me how out of it he seemed after his walk
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Could it be something "normal" with old dogs. Maybe he just walked to much.. He still seems to be breathing daily heavy Fairly* his name is Sydney
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Sydney is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I very much doubt if this is related to his hips or any similar arthritic condition, I have to say though that I have seen many older dogs present like this where the final diagnosis was some sort of heart condition and the fact he is breathing heavily still does fit in with this sort of diagnosis.

2. Given the above all you can do is to keep him calm and reassured and then have him checked over by your vet at the next opportunity, there is just nothing you can hope to do on a home remedy basis. But even if this is a heart condition then things are not hopeless as there are a range of prescription drugs your vet can give you which can often keep dogs with heart conditions stable for quite some time.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Sydney's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sydney is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his health issues ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for reaching out. I took Sydney to the vet this morning and he has some sort of issue with his eye that's giving him very bad vertigo. He is being treated now and hope we can reach a happy end result. Unroll the. Lots and lots of love his way :)

Brilliant, good result, these sorts of issues can often be resolved ...

Thanks for the update ...

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?