How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5222
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog a 44 lb beagle ate about 2 oz chocolate candy at

Customer Question

my dog a 44 lb beagle ate about 2 oz chocolate candy at about 8am . I called the emergency ve and they said to call poison control
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the ate?
Customer: yes it was min tmel taways fro the Fijii GiftHe ate about 1/2 the box
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the?
Customer: it is mint meltaways . He di this about 10 am . the poison meter said to watch , then I read where no chocolate was safe , He seems fine but now I am not sure what to do
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.


Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently I'm reviewing your quesiton, and will be back to you in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Never mind I notified notified wells fargo to dispute the charge
Karen Bridges
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.

I have good news for you. 2 oz of chocolate candy for a 44lb beagle should not cause any significant health concerns. We would get worried about vomiting and diarrhea around 4 ounces and then dangerous around 6 ounces or more. Since he seems to be feeling well now this long after his chocolate ingestion then he should continue to be just fine. All you have to do is make sure he doesn't get any more for at least 48 more hours. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Related Dog Veterinary Questions