Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

7 month old puppy outside playing with another puppy, after

gluping down water she started...
7 month old puppy outside playing with another puppy, after gluping down water she started with a gag reflex or a hiccup and started eating grass and trying to throw up. She is resting right now buy still is hiccuping and this has been going on for about 20 minutes now.
10/16/2016
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

How much does your puppy weigh? Do you have any Pepcid or Zantac or could you buy some? It sounds like she has an upset stomach now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
about 16 lbs and yes I have both

Ok pick up the food and water dish for now.

Give 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid ac tablet or 1/4 of a 75mg Zantac tablet.

Try to keep her calm and try to get her to relax.

Do not let her eat grass or anything else right now.

After you give the stomach acid reducer she should feel better in about an hour

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I have done that and she is just laying down on the bed resting and she is still hiccuping

How long ago did you give the stomach acid reducer?

Hiccups are not life threatening and all puppies have them at some point so do not let that worry you too much

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just gave her the pepcid about 5 minutes ago.

Okay the pepcid will take about 30-60 minutes to work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thank you

If she starts coughing then that would be more worrisome because that may mean she inhaled some water. But hiccups are usually because the esophagus is irritated and eating grass and trying to throw up indicates nausea. So I am thinking that reducing the stomach acid will help. I have never heard of a case where the hiccups would not end but anything is possible. But most likely the Pepcid will kick in and she will relax and go to sleep.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
None of that just hiccups and she is still laying down. Thank you> Now I don't feel I have to take her to the emergency vet clinic that I do not like.

I will be on her for the next few hours except when I have to walk my own dog. So if anything else happens let me know.

You are correct. It is not an emergency right now

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian