Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a very large tumor in his pelvis, possibly bone

Customer Question
cancer. We decided against doing...
My dog has a very large tumor in his pelvis, possibly bone cancer. We decided against doing anything besides making him comfortable. The vet said eventually he will not be able to urinate or poop because the tumor will push on his colon and urether, causing blockage. He stopped urinating yesterday, although he leaked while sleeping. He hasn't pooped for several days. He walks around the yard for hours trying to urinate or poop. I was giving him pumpkin, but have stopped. He's been eating good and was not drinking much water, but had been since his accident last night. Is there anything I could do for him at home? The vet office is closed. He's getting pain pills. We may euthanize him tonight at the ER.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: His tumor grew quite a bit in a week's time, so the vet said she thought it was malignant. They aspirated cells, but couldn't give us a definite diagnosis without a biopsy. It may have already spread to his lungs, which would prevent a biopsy, so we just decided to keep him comfortable. He had other hard bumps that have appeared in other places. One might be the same tumor and another is on his ribs.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Other than increasing the dose of a narcotic analgesic as would constitute good hospicing of such a patient until he could be euthanized, there's nothing I can think of of value for you to do for what sounds like a dog whose urinary tract (and possible gastrointestinal tract) is now obstructed. I believe that having him euthanized sooner than later should be considered as a final kindness to him. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian