Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I rescued a cocker spaniel. The rescue group had her ears

Customer Question
I rescued a cocker spaniel...
I rescued a cocker spaniel. The rescue group had her ears packed . It has benn one week yesterday. We go back to the vet this Saturday. I touched her ear this morning and she screamed in pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the spaniel's name?
Customer: Sophey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophey?
Customer: I have vetoquinol ear solution but don't know if I can use it with her ears being packed
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She has dry eyes and is on meds. Working on skin issues
10/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sophey. Thank you for rescuing her. When ears are that painful, it's best not to attempt to irrigate them at home. Unfortunately, I don't know what was used to pack her ears and so I recommend that your vet take a look at her ears which can be part of an important initial "new pet" exam in any event. As you're probably aware, cocker spaniels are overrepresented with a severe form of chronic otitis externa (outer ear canal infection) which with chronicity will affect the middle ear as well. Her vet needs to initiate an intensive program of ear cleaning and treatment in order to avoid these ears from calcifying and becoming "end stage" ears requiring surgical intervention. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know this . Sophey is my 4th cocker spaniel. But this packing withAnabiotic's is new. I was lucky with my other babies and we didn't have ear infections

Yes, new one-time packing treatments have come available lately. Whether or not they will suffice for cockers such as Sophey isn't clear quite yet. We don't have enough experience with them at this time. Your other babies and you were fortunate not to have to deal with such ears.

Suffice to say, if she's that painful, the packing doesn't sounds as if it appears to have been effective. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will take her to my own vet tomorrow

That sounds good to me. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

You're welcome!

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian