Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is acting very strange he is a 9 month old husky

Customer Question
Hi my dog is acting...
Hi my dog is acting very strange he is a 9 month old husky named maverick he's acting very dizzy and wobbly he is still trying to play with our other dog but once he stops running or tries to sit still he starts to fall over. There is a little vomit in his kennel and he is now laying next to me outside trying to eat grass
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about maverick?
Customer: He still needs one more round of puppy shots and there is a slight possibility he could have gotten into chocolate or marijuana
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

It does sound as if Maverick were intoxicated and THC in marijuana makes the most sense. Vomiting and ataxia ("drunken sailor") are the most common symptoms of intoxication. Thankfully, it's difficult to seriously intoxicate a dog with THC. Most dogs remiss unaided within 24 hours but some who have ingested a hefty dose might take up to 4 days to normalize. Please bring him inside and enforce his resting in a quiet, dimly lit, unlikely to be disturbed area. Check on him hourly. His gums and tongue should remain nicely pink and his respiratory rate remain greater than 8 breaths per minute while asleep.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

(The theobromine in chocolate causes vomiting, agitation and tremors.)

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian