Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have an 8 year old. She went to a new groomer today. She

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old ***** *****. She went to a new groomer today. She did eat a half of an egg white that fell on the floor today. She does get eggs from time to time. The groomers said she vomited 4 times. We have gotten her home and in the past hour she has vomited 3 times. It is yellow in color and looks like stomach vile. Is there anything I can give her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she lethargic?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No to lethargic. 13lbs. No other symptoms

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, I am sorry Dottie is vomiting. As you may have already suspected it is possible it could from eating egg whites. Other possible causes are a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If she becomes lethargic, develops pale gums, abdominal swelling, etc. have her checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dottie. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter