Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 90lb dog just ate a peach pit. I think he chewed it up

Customer Question
My 90lb dog just ate...
My 90lb dog just ate a peach pit. I think he chewed it up before swallowing. Suggestions on what to do next?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Leo. 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leo?
Customer: He is allergic to chicken & grains
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

If it has been less than an hour you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (so 3 tbsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If this does not work then I would advise several pieces of bread now and again in two hours to bulk up the pit and hopefully help move it through. As you said hopefully he chewed it up and this will be a mute point and one pit will not be toxic to Leo

I also would strongly advise long leash walks 30+ minutes three times daily to help push the pit through and it should be seen with his stools within 24-48 hours. Lastly, reduce his meals by 25% and supplement with white rice for 48 hours as a precaution to also bulk up his stool

But if there is vomiting (besides with the peroxide now) then it is time to have a veterinarian evaluate him to ensure he is not obstructed.

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian