Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My small 8 lb poodle who is 14 years old just fell down two

Customer Question
indoor stairs and broke 2...
My small 8 lb poodle who is 14 years old just fell down two indoor stairs and broke 2 toenails off below the quick I believe. I have cleaned it with peroxide and bandaged it with gauze and medical tape. What else should I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did the nails come off in full? Or iare there any pieces of left and attached to the nail bed?

Has the bleeding settled (as these can bleed quite heavy)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One of the nails came off and I didn't see it and the other was barely attached and came off with no effort. The bleeding has come through the bandage a small spot and hasn't got any larger

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that all of the nail has come away since remaining pieces often need to be removed under sedation to ensure regrowth and counter the pain with these. That said, if she is still actively bleeding, we need to address that. Ideally, we'd want to use OTC styptic powder from your local pet store or pharmacy. This clots the bleeds quite well and usually can get them stopped. Otherwise in a pinch we can use cornstarch or plain flour. We apply these right to the bleeding toenail as they will at as a matrix for the platelets to hurry the clotting.

After that is on, you can re-wrap the foot with a pressure bandage. This needs to be quite tight over the exposed nail bed to stop the bleed. And we usually only leave that on for 15-20 minutes. If you aren't comfortable applying one, then you can put firm pressure on these with a washcloth and hold it for 10-15 minutes. Once it is stopped a normal looser bandage can be applied to just keep her from catching this. And after that we would salt water bathe (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) and can usually downgrade to a sock to cover the foot and protect it from trauma (or licking since they can cause infection with these as well).

Of course if she keeps bleeding despite the above or you are struggling, you can see her urgent care for and they will carry out the above for Tasha. As well, they can send her home with dog safe pain relief (since we have no safe OTC options here) +/- antibiotics to ensure we keep her comfortable and infection free as this heals and the nails regrow.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I have antibiotics of hers at home but they upset her stomach and I hate giving that to her again. I can call the vet on Monday if you think I need a different antibiotic

You are very welcome,

They usually will need a course during the healing process in my experience. Still, if she was ill with that one then we'd want to have her vet avoid that and use another for her since we don't want to upset her stomach when we are trying to help her. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She ate her breakfast fine after it happened so she does not act like she is in pain.

Hi again,

I will just repost since we posted in the same minute but I am glad to hear that she isnt' sore with this since it can be for our dogs. As well, they usually will need a course during the healing process in my experience. Still, if she was ill with that one then we'd want to have her vet avoid that and use another for her since we don't want to upset her stomach when we are trying to help her. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a peaceful weekend and all the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tasha. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I took her to the emergency vet because I could not get the bleeding to stop. She gave her antibiotics and put a pressure bandage on. All is good today except for being sore. Thank you

Hello again,

I am glad to hear that she has recovered from this injury. Though if she is sore, you can ring them for dog safe pain relief (and as they saw her recently for this they should be happy to dispense it without having her back in).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian