How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5222
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 10 year old Yellow Lab gets a bladder infection about

Customer Question

Hi, my 10 year old Yellow Lab gets a bladder infection about twice a year. The only thing that works is Cefpodoxime Proxetil 200 mg. It works fast and very effectively. My Vet wont prescribe without a visit. Yesterdays was 2 hours and $180. How can I get the medication without a lengthy and costly Vet visit?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cosmo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cosmo?
Customer: She is on Proin 75 which works great for her incontenance. I give he over the counter joint care that works great too.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately, prescription medications cannot be obtained without an examination by the prescribing veterinarian. This is because by law there has to be a valid veterinarian-client-patient relationship and has to make sure that the medication is indeed right for the issue the dog is having. This is especially true of antibiotics with which we can do more harm than good if the wrong one is prescribed or if they do not need it and have a bad reaction to it. Your best bet unfortunately, is to see a veterinarian.