Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 10 year old Yellow Lab gets a bladder infection about

Customer Question

Hi, my 10 year old Yellow Lab gets a bladder infection about twice a year. The only thing that works is Cefpodoxime Proxetil 200 mg. It works fast and very effectively. My Vet wont prescribe without a visit. Yesterdays was 2 hours and $180. How can I get the medication without a lengthy and costly Vet visit?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cosmo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cosmo?
Customer: She is on Proin 75 which works great for her incontenance. I give he over the counter joint care that works great too.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately, prescription medications cannot be obtained without an examination by the prescribing veterinarian. This is because by law there has to be a valid veterinarian-client-patient relationship and has to make sure that the medication is indeed right for the issue the dog is having. This is especially true of antibiotics with which we can do more harm than good if the wrong one is prescribed or if they do not need it and have a bad reaction to it. Your best bet unfortunately, is to see a veterinarian.