Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has a goose egg on her head that's has increased in

Customer Question

My dog has a goose egg on her head that's has increased in size since yesterday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoe. 9 months.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoe?
Customer: No I thought she was playing and hit her head. But I'm concerned it is getting bigger. Today is day three.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Any history of trauma or her hitting her head?

Is it fluidy, soft, or hard to the touch? Is she sore with it?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a photo of this as it will let me see what you are seeing? To post online, you can use the paperclip icon above your text box.Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't know if she hit her head but that's what I thought happened while she was playing with the other dogs. Her gums look normal. It is sofy and fluidly. It doesn't seem sore.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you,
First I am glad to hear her gums are normal and considering what we are seeing here we do have a few concerns.
A hematoma or soft tissue inflammation would be our top concern here but other possible causes would be a reaction to an insect sting or an abscess.
With these all in mind, we'd want to start some supportive care. To start, we'd want to gently warm compress this for her. This will reduce inflammation and help reduce any blood present from a hematoma.
If you do think she could have gotten stung, we can also start her on a low dose of Benadryl (0.5 mg per pound of her weight every twelve hours) to counter allergic swelling. Do be aware that this make pups a bit drowsy.
Of course if we use these over the weekend and it doesn't settle, then we'd want her vet to check this for us and if they did find a bacterial abscess then antibiotics can also be started to settle this for her
Best wishes,
Dr. B
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How often and how long for the compress?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hi again,
There is not hard and fast rule. Two to three times a day is a good starting place and usually they will let us do this for about ten minutes each time.
All the best,
Dr. B
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi. Her bump is going down but now she has one on her upper rear leg. It is as big as a golf ball.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

I am glad that that one is reducing but where is the one on her rear leg? Is it in the hip region or just behind her knee? Firm, soft, or fluidy?

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is close to her hip but on the leg.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Firm to touch.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if this one is firm, we'd be less suspicious of hematomas on this occasion. Soft tissue inflammation or an allergic reaction would be more likely given that firmness. Abscesses could still be possible as they can vary in the way they feel but if this has come up quick, then we'd lean away from this. Therefore, we'd want to warm compress this for her to see if it will reduce as well, but otherwise we'd want it checked in case we do need anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics for this one. And I'd note that if she keeps developing lumps and isn't accident prone, we'd want to consider having a check up anyway to just make sure she doesn't any odd clotting issues that are causing these.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok she is clumsy also. She had HODS when she was younger. Could it be related
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

If she is clumsy, then she may just be causing herself wee traumas and that isn't uncommon with pups. Otherwise, the HODs wouldn't play a role in this (usually they are feverish and lame) and we'd just want to compress and monitor to see if we can settle this one too.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.