Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our beagle who is 3 has a small bowel leakage twice a week.

Customer Question
We feed her small amount...
our beagle who is 3 has a small bowel leakage twice a week. We feed her small amount dry in the morning and tin food and dry at night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: I walk her twice a day about half hour each time.She had her annal glands cleaned a
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: her feet are ok
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 year ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Sometimes if a dog has had trauma to the rectal area such as continued anal gland issues, fecal incontinence will develop as a result of a loss of muscle tone in the sphincter. This can also be caused by an injury to the back or a problem with an invertebral disc. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. Beagles are prone to disc issues so this may be a possible cause to the fecal leakage. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

You may want to have your dog checked over by your vet as back issues are best treated early for the highest chance of successful treatment. A few things that can help with this are adding fiber to the diet to firm up the feces. A few spoonfuls of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) added to the food works well for this purpose. Also there is one drug that can be prescribed which is phenylpropanolamine which can help tighten the sphincter muscle. It works better on smooth muscles like the bladder but still may help the rectal tissue according to some experts.

You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/phenylpropanolamine

You might want to use a diaper on him until you can get him looked. If it is a disc issue, your vet may give an antiinflammatory medication such as prednisone which will help reduce inflammation and possibly correct the situation. I also would recommend strict crate rest to give any disc injury time to heal with out being aggravated by moving around.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner