Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am not sure :( my dog is 6 He is very sleepy today. Not

Customer Question

Hi, I am not sure :( my dog is 6 He is very sleepy today. Not interested in playing at all. His poop was squishy this morning. He ate ok…He is not really drinking as much, I guess because he is just laying around. the thing that worries me the most is I can feel his pulse or heart beat very strong in his neck. I have never felt this before. Should I be worried?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: Thank you, ***** ***** keep this chat open?
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: He is a 6 year old Corgi/dachshund/chihuahua mix He is I a tad over weight other than that I think in pretty good health??? or so I thought :(
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the corgi will be able to digest that. Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes, I do…I am worried about feeling a pulse or heartbeat in his neck and him being sleepy. Not digesting anything?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the corgi?
Customer: He just had a check up about 3 weeks ago and was diagnosed with bladder stones.. but they were non blocking and he is on a special diet for them. I do not think it is related. The only other weird thing he is doing is shaking his head every so often, kind of like he has something in his ear. Not sure if that is related either?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Can you take a pulse rate for me (just count the beats for 10 seconds and multiply that by 6)?

Any discomfort with his bladder since these signs started or changes to his urination?

Any discharge, odor or redness in the ear?