Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My dog's belly is rock hard and he winced when i tried to

my dog's belly is rock hard and he winced when i tried to pick him up. he has been uncomfortable for at least 4 hours now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is a 5 year old chihuahua
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tucker?
Customer: he is not neutered. He's UTD on all vaccinations. no new foods or anything recently. doesn't feel feverish. Besides that it's just the abdominal tenderness and guarding

Hi this is Dr. Hill. I need to ask a few questions to better help you and Tucker. What is Tucker's normal diet? Does he get any meats/cheese or marrow bones? Has he been eating, urinating and having normal bowel movements?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He normally eats Iams small dog hard food, but he is a grazer and only eats a couple kibbles at a time throughout the day. Today he took a small piece of a hot dog off of a plate, but this was after the pain had already started. The only bones he gets are greenies every week and very small rawhide ones like once or twice a month. No cheese or marrow bones. He has been eating and drinking normally. normal urination all week and he has had 2 medium sized bowel movements throughout the day today. No vomiting or wretching. he hasn't been laying down tonight though, just sitting.

From what you are describing, it may not be his abdomen that hurts. It may be his back and when you picked him up you that caused movement in his back which was painful. Most dogs will tighten their abdominal muscles in response to anticipation of pain, either back or abdominal. Is Tucker walking normally?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He's walking normally and was jumping a little bit earlier, but he is moving a little slow tonight. I palpated his spine, back, and ribs and got not pain response. His chest seems fine. He is now laying down on his back and letting me rub his belly without guarding. His abdomen is still rigid and I don't see any asymmetries or pulsations and I don't feel any lumps or fluid. I'm not sure if he is just a little constipated maybe?

Good that he is comfortable enough to roll over. constipation does not usually cause a hard abdomen unless there is a massive amount of stool backed up. That would mean that he has not defecated for several days.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there something I can do to make him more comfortable? Or is there something I should be worried about urgently? He has been defecating normally, but he may have slightly overactive bowel sounds tonight. Not sure how much more active a dog's GI tract is from a human's.

If you can hear his bowel sounds, then it is overactive and he may break with diarrhea tonight or in the morning. I would give him Pepcid ac 1 mg per 2 pounds body weight by mouth once a day and continue with a bland diet (boneless/skinless chicken and white rice). If he does develop diarrhea, starts vomiting or does not eat for over 24 hours then he should be evaluated by a local veterinarian.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok great, thank you so much! I really appreciate your help Dr. Hill. Hopefully he will start feeling better soon. Have a great night.

your welcome. You too. Let me know how he does

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
***** *****
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good morning Dr. Hill, Tucker is doing much better now. Thank you very much.

thank you for the update I am so glad that Tucker is better. Have a nice night.