Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 15yr old blk lab mix about 75lbs the vet initially

Customer Question
prescribed meloxicam 7.5 mg.he said...
i have a 15yr old blk lab mix about 75lbs the vet initially prescribed meloxicam 7.5 mg.he said she wld have to b on pain meds the rest of her life.i order thru 800-petmeds n the 1st n 2nd rx of 100(forgot to mention he wntd me to split the 7.5s in half n give to her)he oked them now i have no money to take her to the vet n feel horrible watching her b in pain.I have to lift her up everywhere.but on the last visit to the vet he gave her tramadol to take with the meloxicam.I personally take oxycodone 20mg n wondered if i cld break pieces off a pill n give to her just till i can get money to take her back to the vet.but dont want to her my baby.she also over the 15 yrs ive had her she gets ear infections n was always given an antibiotic that came in a tube n was a type of cream although very watery i only had to put a couple of drops in the ear for a few days n it went away.now im out of everything.but the most important is her pain.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: i just answered that question now. It took me a long time to type.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she has hip dysplasia n arthritis in her legs. She is a big dog 75 lbs n i just know she is feeling the pain bad
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes she has no wounds nothing just pain n to boot one of her front paws she has whats called flatfoot.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. How old is flatfoot?
Customer: is about between 4 n 6 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about flatfoot?
Customer: im not trying to be rude i just need to know(bc i personally take)if oxycodone is ok to give her.i take 20mg tabs n tonite broke off a small piece n gave it to her but she didnt act any different so idk if i gave her enough or i hurt her
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I might dose oxycodone at 0.05 mg/lb every 6-12 hours and in severe cases I might increase that dose 4X to 0.2 mg/lb. Always start at the smallest recommended dose and increase if necessary. 75 lbs x 0.05 mg/lb = 3.75 mg or practically speaking, 1/5 of a tablet every 6-12 hours. You can increase up to 4/5 of a tablet but expect significant sedation. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian