Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My pet has diarrhea. he just went to the vet last Friday for

Customer Question

my pet has diarrhea. he just went to the vet last Friday for his annual exam and shots (Lepto) and it all came back normal. On Monday he had watery stool (no accidents). So I fed him rice and boiled chicken and then on Tuesday he had a small solid poop in the morning and then didn't poop the rest of the day. This morning i fed him his normal food and the diarrhea is back (he's gone outside four times today. Other than water stool he is acting completely normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the chicken's name?
Customer: my dog's name is hootie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about hootie?
Customer: no he's annual exam came back good. No allergies, we haven't changed his food. nothing out of the ordinary
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is he?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
4 years old

2- Any blood in the stool?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No blood in the stool. He weighs 30 pounds (which the vet we just saw on Friday said was good for his size). There are no other symptoms he is acting totally normal other than the fact that he asks to go outside and has runny stool

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

I am sorry Hootie has diarrhea. In response to your question, diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1/2 tablespoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken for a few days or until the stool is back to normal.

4- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

5- If no improvement within 24 hours of doing the above I would have him checked by your family vet for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours.