Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Worm dog

Customer Question
white worm dog...
white worm dog
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 year ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It sounds like you may have found a worm in your dog's feces or perhaps in vomit. The most common worms seen in vomit or feces is the roundworm and tapeworm. Tapeworms are normally seen in feces and resemble grains of rice while roundworms resemble spaghetti. The most common worms found in dogs are: Roundworms, Hookworms, Tapeworms, and Whipworms and Heartworms

In some cases these worms are passed from the mother to the puppy, in other cases such as tapeworms, they are contracted by other methods such as ingesting an infected flea. Most over the counter medicine will only kill one or two types of worms, so your best bet is to take a fecal sample to your vet to determine the type of worms your dog may have and then decide on treatment. Dogs should be checked for worms periodically even if they appear healthy. This is so if your pet does become ill, you are not fighting a worm infestation along with a more serious problem.

For additional information about worms, see this site

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

http://www.truecompanionvet.com/site/view/124515_CanineIntestinalParasites.pml

Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Many heartworm preventatives also help control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

I hope this information is helpful to you and I interpreted your question correctly. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Kami,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kami Gray. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

Just a quick followup to see how Kami is doing. Did you end up getting her dewormed? Did you find my answer helpful?

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner