Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 year old Doberman has had some joint issues (or could

Hi Dr. B, my 6...
Hi Dr. B, my 6 year old Doberman has had some joint issues (or could have been a leg or shoulder injury as he's very active) and was recommended Dasuquin tablets which seems to be helping. My breeder has also recommended the brand Glycoflex, for glucosamine as its more pure in natural ingredients but I haven't used it yet as I was intending to finish the Dasuquin before starting the Glycoflex. Lastly, I just purchased Salmon Oil to add to my dog's existing diet in order to help improve and protect his heart/joints/skin, ect. (this brand: https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-All-Natural-Supplement-Pump-Bottle-Dispenser/dp/B0002ABR6E/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1476246133&sr=1-5&keywords=salmon+oil+for+dogs)The issue is he's slightly overweight although he doesnt look it. You can faintly see his ribs but I think its more so, muscle mass. In efforts to help in lose 5-10 pounds since he's 100 now, what do you recommend I use? Is the salmon oil fattening for him? Can I use the Salmon oil in lower dosages along with the Dasuquin or Glycoflex?I've attached an image of him so you can see his weight. Thank you for your help and advice! Appreciate it!
10/12/2016
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Good morning,

Now it doesn't appear that your photo has posted (you are welcome to do so), but both joint supplement plans sound fine. In regards ***** ***** Salmon oil, you can also choose to half the recommended dose since he is on both. As well, since the salmon oil is quite fatty (as the omega 3's we want to support his joints are fatty acids) and you did want him to loose a bit of weight, our main focus would be the diet. You will want to double check the label to ensure you aren't overfeeding to start. From there, we'd want to think about cutting out treats. If we need to push a bit harder to reduce weight, then we can reduce the diet volume we feed (it can be bulked up with dog safe veggies like carrots, cauliflower, broccoli to help him feel full) or consider weaning him onto a diet with a lower calorie and fat per gram profile then the one he is no now. Finally, since activity is a great way to burn calories but we need to take care with his shoulder, you may want to consider swimming for Vudu. This is a low impact exercise medium that can help keep their muscles strong with less risk of strain then land base exercise.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks so much for your suggestions and advice Dr. B! I really appreciate it. It was very thorough. OK, so I may use the following supplements:1. Dasuquin with salmon Oil
OR
2. Glycloflex with reduced dosage of salmon oilWould you happen to be able to recommend which glucosamine supplement is better (all natural)? Dasuquin or Glycloflex?I reattached his photo for you to review.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ive been adding steamed green beans into his diet rather than the broccoli as its easier/quicker to cook. Is that OK?

Good morning,

Plan A or B sounds just fine. I don't have a favorite glucosamine supplement as I do find most of our named brands and even the OTC human versions tend to give us the results we are looking for. So, I would be happy to have a patient on either of those or others like Seraquin, Infinite, or Primed Paws could also be considered. And the veggies are just fine to use for him. Finally, he is quite a cutie there (I grew up with Dobies myself, so always happy to see one here or in my practice :)), though I agree that he doesn't quite have as lean a waist line as is ideal but I only think minimal weight needs to be lost. In fact, if he came to see me I'd not be pressing for weight loss as I sometimes need to do in joint cases but a few pounds less wouldn't hurt.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks so much for the valuable advice!! Appreciate your time.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best for Vudu,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian