Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She's been vomiting a dark sludge type vomit for three days.

Customer Question
She's been vomiting a dark...
She's been vomiting a dark green sludge type vomit for three days.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No she hasn't been eating anything unusual. She seems to be OK other than the vomiting. I work all day but I think she probably vomits once a day
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is***** a Rhodesian ridge back approximately 6 to 7 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jessie?
Customer: She is currently being treated for heartworm. She is a rescue dog. I adopted her approximately two months ago
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago
Jeffrey Evans

Hi this is Dr. Evans, do you have some time now to chat?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would prefer to text
Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

Dark green sludge.... and rat or slug bait around the house?

Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

any*

Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

Also, it'd be very helpful to know what region of the US you are located in, to get an idea of the wild plants in your area.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not that I know of. She seemed to start vomiting after eating a large amount of broccoli tops last saturday
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I live in Sacramento, Ca
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is an indoor dog. I don't have any grass or plants in the back yard
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did find a dead rat in the back yard about 2 weeks ago. I've never put out any poison. I've only lived here since June of this year
Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

finding a dead rat is strange, as they tend to go off on there own... I'd be concerned about the rat getting into rat poison and your dog ingesting some of it... clinical signs dont develop in this case for about 3 days. Is there ANY way your dog saw the dead rat?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she was there when I was scooping it up. I don't know if she saw it prior to that. Do you think it could have been all the broccoli she ate. She vomited about 8 hours after she ate it
Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

It's bossible but it doesn't describe the "sludge" you're describing... do you have a picture?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I don't. It was a dark olive green color; the color of a Greenie
Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

Could it be a Greenie?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's been eating them daily since I got her and never had a problem with them. Should I stop giving them to her. One thing I forgot to tell you is each time she vomits it's a lesser amount each tim
Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

Okay great! It's okay that it is less volume, she's likely throwing up the contents because she needs to. And it's totally possible shes throwing up a greenie.

Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

I need to know if she's had any Diarrhea in the last week?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would have to check outside when it's light out in the morning
Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

Got it - is she otherwise bright and alert?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she is wandering the house like usual and is still very excited when I walk her
Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

Please give me a couple minutes to type all this stuff up - it'll be about 3-5 minutes! I promise I won't leave you :) lol

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thank you
Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

So here's what we'll do with Jessie, as it sounds like she is bright and alert... I'll put more information in here then you may need for the sake of completeness, but take each dime of information as a "buffet"

The most common reasons for pets to have digestive upset (vomiting or diarrhea) include adverse food reactions, adverse medication effects, gastrointestinal inflammation, obstruction, or parasites. Adverse food reactions may include eating too fast, sudden diet change, or an allergy to a particular ingredient. This could be the case with the Greenie... a pet swallows an object that cannot pass through the intestinal tract.... but since she's otherwise bright and alert (and through it or something that apeared to be the problem up... the problem may be solved!!!)

It must be determined what caused the vomiting, diarrhea, and/or decreased appetite, because treating the inciting cause will allow for a more successful outcome.... I hate to say it but I highly recommend dissecting the vomit and seeing what you find. :)

What you'll need:

• Pedialyte or similar oral rehydration solution
  • Syringe
  • Cooked fresh chicken
  • White rice

Troubleshooting

If Jessie is eating too fast, try offering smaller portions more frequently. If she eats fast because of competition with another pet, try feeding the pets in separate areas.

If Jessie is vomiting or has diarrhea, withholding food for several hours can allow the intestinal tract to rest, but food is not withheld for more than 12 hours . If she continues to vomit, call your veterinarian.

Procedure

Vomiting

Take away all food and water from your pet for 12 hours. Once Jessie has not vomited for 12 hours, start the following protocol:

• Offer a small amount of Pedialyte-type oral rehydration solution. Offer 15 mL (1 tablespoon) of liquid. If she does not want to drink the liquid, you may offer the same amount in a syringe by emptying the contents of the syringe in the cheek pouch. That is, with the pet’s mouth remaining closed, you insert the syringe tip in the corner of the lips, ensure that the chin is a bit elevated, and squirt the liquid gently into the cheek pouch such that it enters the back of the mouth and is swallowed.
  • If Jessie is able to keep that amount of liquid down for 15 to 30 minutes, offer the same amount again. If she vomits, discontinue fluids and call your veterinarian.
  • If she does not vomit, increase the amount of liquid you are giving by 50% every 15 to 30 minutes.
  • If she does not vomit for 12 hours after a liquid has been introduced, offer a small amount of a bland diet.
  • To prepare a bland diet, you will need cooked chicken and boiled white rice. Cook 3 parts white rice to 1 part chicken; prepare the chicken in the same way you prepare the rice—in boiling water. Do not add spices, salt, or pepper. Allow your pet's meal to cool down.
  • Offer 1 teaspoon of the mixture for small pets; 1 tablespoon for large pets.
  • If your pet does not vomit the initial serving of food, double the amount, and feed your pet this amount every 1 or 2 hours. If your pet continues to eat well, increase the amount you feed, and decrease the number of times you are feeding in a day. Your pet may return to a normal diet in 4 days if all symptoms have subsided. If your pet has any remaining signs of vomiting or diarrhea, call your veterinarian.

Diarrhea

If your pet has diarrhea, the main goal is to substitute a bland diet that is rich in starches for the usual diet. Maintaining intake of liquids is important, as your pet can become dehydrated from diarrhea. Make sure your pet is drinking plenty of water and/or oral rehydration solutions such as Pedialyte. It is important to offer a bland diet that is easily absorbed in the intestinal tract.

• To prepare a bland diet, you will need chicken and white rice. Cook 3 parts white rice to 1 part chicken; prepare the chicken in the same way you prepare the rice—in boiling water. Do not add spices, salt, or pepper. Allow your pet's meal to cool down.
  • Offer ½ cup of the mixture for small pets; 1cup for large pets. Feed your pet the same amount several times throughout the day.
  • Your pet may return to a normal diet in 4 days if all symptoms have resided. If your pet has any remaining signs of diarrhea, call your veterinarian.

Decreased Appetite

Your pet's appetite may decrease for a variety of reasons. It is advised to have a veterinarian rule out any diseases that may be causing the decreased appetite. These are very wide-ranging and must not be over- or underinterpreted.

Offer your pet the bland diet described above. You may try adding chicken-flavored food stock for taste to entice your pet to eat. Some smaller pets learn to eat people food and will refuse to eat dog food. Do not allow your pet to do this, as human food does not provide a balanced diet for pets and can result in nutrient deficits. Dogs and cats need a properly balanced diet to prevent nutrition-related abnormalities. Therefore, if your pet prefers the bland diet, you can wean back onto the usual diet from before by mixing the two in gradually changing proportions: 10% original diet and 90% bland diet at first, gradually transitioning over several days or even weeks to 100% regular diet.

Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

Sorry for the novel:)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you - I will try this and hope it solves the problem!
Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

Good luck! kindly send a rating when you get a chance!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I certainly will
Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

I'll be around if you have any follow-up questions for the next few days

Dog Veterinarian: Jeffrey Evans,
 replied 1 year ago

Have a good night!

Jeffrey Evans
Jeffrey Evans
Jeffrey Evans