Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been at the vet for 2 weeks with the parvo viris

Customer Question
she is doing better they...
my dog has been at the vet for 2 weeks with the parvo viris she is doing better they let her come home yesterday however she is still has water stools tinged with blood . The vet said he thinks she was poisioned on top of parvo. now she has low blood counts. anemic and bleds very bad.. she is still on 7 medications. really dont know what else to do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: the vet thinks it might have been rat poison but there is none in my home and she hasnt beeen any where other than we took her camping over labor day. she is a 6 month old husky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: I started her on silver water for the virus I am giving her pumpkin for the diarrhea and was thinking of charcoal to shed any virus in her gi track plus all the meds the vet gave her
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your girl. What is her name? Did your vet test her clotting values to see if they were elevated? If there is a possible poison that causes bleeding, it can be tested for with a blood test. Is she eating and drinking? Is she still vomiting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
her name is keda yes they had to give her a clotting drug yesterday because she chewed up her iv and she would not stop bleeding. her red blood cells are very low. the vet has her on antibiotics, pain drugs,probiotics, vitamin k, iron,anti nasua med. she vomits if you let her drink too much so i give her water every hour then take her bowl away. she is suppose to go back to vet everyday for them to check her blood in case she needs a transfusion cause they are not building up

Have they specifically done a clotting test to see if she has normal clotting values? So she's still vomiting and they let her come home?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i dont know they told me to keep her calm because if she hurt herself she could bleed out . she has not vomited her food just her water if she drinks too much

Is she eating? Did they say why they sent her home if they are worried she'll bleed out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she is a very hyper dog and she was feeling better and they couldnt keep her iv in and the bill hit 4000.00 and it was just too much yes she is eating

I can absolutely understand how a parvo case can get to be that expensive. It isn't an inexpensive disease to treat. It is a frustrating one in that there are no guarantees when owners treat as aggressively as they can. I've had some cases that owners go the entire distance and the case doesn't make it. Hopefully she's going to turn the corner here. It is good that she's eating and keeping that down. Hydration is the absolute biggest thing that is being fought against with parvo cases. It would seem to be an extremely, extremely unfortunate situation for a dog to consecutively get parvo and also eat rat poison in the same small time frame. Parvo virus can absolutely make them have bloody stools. As far as her bleeding from the catheter site, that is something that could indicate a coagulopathy. Could she have an inherited clotting deficit? This is something that could be the issue too. She is so young that there is no real long history to know if she's had bleeding issues in the past. I've seen a very few number of inherited clotting issues in my career. It would be very important to do a clotting profile on her to see if it is elevated or not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will ask when she goes in this afternoon to check her red blood cells
I was just needing to know what to do if anything to try and heal her digestive track
And her iv was chewed out by her and then it wouldn't stop bleeding

The best thing you can do for her digestive tract is to go slow and small amounts of the food and water to not over stretch her stomach as this can lead to vomiting. Small and frequent feedings seem to be better as far as digestion and passage. Sometimes they can bleed a lot at IV sites when they get chewed out as the tape / bandage holding it in place (before being chewed on) is still in place and it puts back pressure at the site and increases the pressure (hence the bleeding).

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian