Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is having some upset stomach issues after swallowing

Customer Question
(and then throwing up) a...
My dog is having some upset stomach issues after swallowing (and then throwing up) a cotton ball. She has slept soundly for about 4 hours but is now awake and her stomach is making rumbling noises. She had a bowel movement that seemed normal, but seems to be slightly harder to do than usual. Before she threw up, prior to going to sleep around midnight, she was doing a hard swallowing movement for about an hour off-and-on until she threw up some food and the cotton ball. Should I be worried about other issues and take her to a vet?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now I am glad to hear that she did bring up the cotton ball. In that case, we'd be most concerned (provided there wasn't anything toxic on the cotton) that the ball has irritated the stomach or that we have secondary inflammation of her throat (esophagitis) from the vomiting this caused.

With this in mind, if she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach and throat. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Ideally, we'd want to use a liquid one (ie Milk of Magnesia - 0.25-0.5 tsp every 12 hours) since this will reduce nausea but also coat the throat. Otherwise we could try one of our other OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if she cannot keep the antacid that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

If she can, we can plan on using a soft, easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Ideally, we'd want to feed this in small meals and can do so for at least the next 48 hours.

Overall, its good she brought up the cotton ball, but it has left her stomach and throat irritated. Therefore, we can use the above just now to soothe her. Though if she cannot settled, then injectable treatment +/- gastroprotectants can be used by her vet to nip this in the bud.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your response! I don't have liquid antacid in my home. I do have Tums. Can she have those? This dog is allergic to most meats and has had several skin and ear infections previously because of this. However, she is now on a Zignature food diet of salmon and kangaroo. Since she is allergic to poultry, what would you recommend for her diet after this episode? She is also on Apoquel.

Hi again,

If she is so sensitive, then we'd be best to stick to her usual diet but plan to pick up a liquid antacid for her. Especially since Tums can be used in the short term (60-120mg every 12 hours) but they often only settle mild cases. So, her signs persist, then again that liquid option would be ideal for her. And both can be used even if she is on Apoquel.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian