Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I found a stray dog it is a schnauzer he was all matted and

Customer Question
I groomed him he had...
I found a stray dog it is a schnauzer he was all matted and I groomed him he had sores and fleas. He is eating but he keeps going in my room hiding and I put him out and he just howls the whole time. I use to raise dogs and never ran across this. Is he okay till I can find his family? I can't afford to take him to vet but I don't want him put in pound or killed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian

Thanks you for saving that poor lost little boy. He is probably howling because he wants back in the house or room that you are putting him out of. Without giving him an exam, I am unable to tell you if he is Ok or not but if he ate and is otherwise acting normally, he is likely just missing his family. The sores will heal with time as long as he does not lick at them but he may need antibiotics to help prevent infection depending on how much of his skin is affected and how deep the stores are. If you can find a no kill shelter, they can treat him until his family is found or until he can be found another home. You may also try a rescue organization, these are networks of foster families that will care for dogs that do not have homes until permanent homes can be found. A shelter can also scan him for a microchip in case he has one and this can help to locate his family.

Does this help to answer your questions?

Hi Lisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lisa Miller. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian