Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Looking at an answer on this page - dog swalloed (we think)

Customer Question
a 20 mg tablet of...
looking at an answer on this page - dog swalloed (we think) a 20 mg tablet of xarelto
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: what to do
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Scamp - 11 lbs 9 mos.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below.

1. Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) it is not a medication used in veterinary medicine and you have a very small dog so it is difficult to predict how serious this may be. The danger of course is that this medication can cause bleeding so really it is best to play safe ...

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make Scamp sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include lethargy and incoordination as well as any obvious bleeds.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Scamp's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian