Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My senior dog is panting excessively. He's taking the

Customer Question
following meds. Apoquel 5.4, enalapni...
My senior dog is panting excessively. He's taking the following meds. Apoquel 5.4, enalapni 2.5, and vet medina 1.25. He seems to be stressed because of the hurricane evacuation. Can you tell me what I can do to calm him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What did you give the Prednisone? Was he panting before that?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Senegal has hypertension in his throat and his gums are pink. He was panting before the prednisone.

Thank you,

I appreciate that he does given his other medication, though steroids won't benefit his current signs and can actually make them pant more. So, its best avoiding any more of that if not needed for his ongoing health issues.

Now given your history, this sounds more likely a stress induced panting. Often weather changes, noise, and general stress in the household can set sensitive dogs off. In regards ***** ***** to soothe his stress here, there are some steps we can take. To start, we find that some dogs benefit from having their own safe place in moments like these. This could be a room, closet, or big pantry that has no windows or external walls. A place where a dog bed or dog crate can be placed and he can retreat to to feel safe. Even if you don't have somewhere like this in your home, you can set up a dog crate covered with a duvet over the top (to block light coming into the slats) in a quiet corner of the house in the same way (of course, remove the door to the crate or keep it open so he can go in or leave as he needs to). The aim is to give him a safe retreat/cave to be safe from the scary situation.

Furthermore, to address the anxiety, you can consider using a de-stressing agent. There are a number of tools we can use to help. Often we will use Adaptil/DAP, which is a synthetic pheromone that helps to relieve stress, promote relaxation, and help him cope with this situation. This can be used as a spray, a plug-in diffuser (ideally used in the room he spends the most time), or there are even collar preparations. They are available OTC at the vet's, most pet stores, or can even be purchased online (ie Amazon). Furthermore, there are nutritional supplements available over the counter at the vets, like Kalmaid or Zylkene that we often use to soothe canine anxiety and stress. As well, we can even use Bach Flower Remedy for pets here.

Overall, Senegal just sounds stressed by the current environmental changes and many dogs will be feeling the same as he is. In this case, it isn't an indication for steroids and sedation wouldn't be advisable either (since that just paralyzes them from carrying out stress behaviors). Instead, we'd want to reassure him, give him a safe space to hide, but also use the above options to soothe this stress and help him cope with this stressful time.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian