Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has cushings she is on meds and special food from vet

Customer Question
my dog has cushings...
my dog has cushings she is on meds and special food from vet her blood is now normal but she went blind she is 11 years old keeps pooping and peeing in the house never did before poops about 5-6 times a day what can we do please help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sohia
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sohia?
Customer: she gained 7 poiunds in a few months but now on strict diet no people food
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I am sorry to hear about Sohia.

What medication is she taking for the Cushing's?

When were blood tests last done on her?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
vetoryl 10 mg tablets The last blood work was last week and was normal. She had 2 other blood works and an ultrasound
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like to know how to stop all the peeing and pooping in the house
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i do not want to call

There are different types of Cushing's disease. One type is caused by a tiny tumor on the pituitary gland, causing the adrenal glands to overproduce hormones. This type responds to Vetoryl.

Another type is where a larger tumor grows on the pititary gland. It also causes the adrenal glands to be overactive, and also responds to Vetoryl, but it can put pressure on the brain, causing things like blindness, and forgetting to be housetrained. If this is happening, it may be difficult to stop the housesoiling. Was she always well housetrained until now?

I would consider doing a urinalysis to be sure she does not have a bladder infection. She may be urinating excessively from that, and a course of antibiotics might help if she does.

Is her poop normal, or diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she was always house trained until now. The veg said she had a small tumor on the adrenal gland but she is now blind I am having problems with soiling the house we had a urinalysis which was normal and her poop is also normal

This change in her not being housetrained, and her blindness may be related. If she is blind, getting outside may be more difficult or scary. And, if she has a brain tumor, on the pituitary gland or in another area of her brain, she may not be able to help herself.

You would have to do an MRI to see if she has a problem in her brain or pituitary gland.

I would consider confining her in a pen with absorbent pads when you are not with her, so she can't soil in the house, or consider diapers if she is losing control of her urination and defecation.

I hope you saw my last response; I have not heard back from you. Let me know if you have more questions and if this was helpful.

How is Sohia?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian