Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She got cut while playing outside. She's up to date on all

her shots but it's pretty...
She got cut while playing outside. She's up to date on all her shots but it's pretty deep and wide. I can't take her to the vet until Wednesday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: She's not bleeding at all now and barely after it happened
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's 11 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about effy?
Customer: She's able to walk on it and she's still jumping around.
10/8/2016
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Effy has injured herself.

Are we talking about a pad or other area on her foot?

How much does she weigh?

Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Other area. I can send a picture if that helps. She weighs about 35-40 pounds

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

Yes, please...a picture would be very helpful. The following link walks you through the process:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Deb

So far, only one picture came through...the one just of her, I think, since I don't see a wound.

Could you please resend the other two? Thanks, Deb

Thanks for resending them. The last one in particular gives me an idea of the severity of the problem. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The last one is what worries me.

Often wounds of this sort will heal on their own (it's called secondary intention healing) although it may take longer for them to do so than if they were sutured soon after the injury happened. They also often look worse than they really are.

The biggest concern is infection, of course, although antibiotics aren't typically available over the counter and require a prescription. If you might have access to any human drugs, though, please let me know and I can provide dosage amounts if they're antibiotics which might be useful in this situation.

But, for now, the following is what I'd suggest that you do:

1. Cleaning with sterile saline is better than hydrogen peroxide (which can retard healing) but it doesn't have anti-bacterial properties. Instead, I'd flush the wound with dilute over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea) twice a day.

2. After it has dried, then I'd apply over the counter antibacterial ointment such as we'd use on ourselves.

3. I don't typically recommend bandaging these types of wounds unless the patient is constantly licking at it. And, even then, I usually suggest a cone for a few days to prevent access.

4. A perfect product for this wound would be Vetericyn Spray which can help to increase healing time. This spray is often available at local pet/grain stores or can be purchased online.

5. I doubt if Effy required any anti-inflammatory drugs or ones for pain if she's moving around just fine and not lame; however, Aspirin can be given as long as she's not vomiting nor currently taking any nsaid medication. The dose for a dog this size would be one, 325 mg (full strength) tablet twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

If the wound starts to ooze or look pusy or inflamed, then it might be wise to have her seen sooner, if at all possible. Hopefully, though, the above at home treatment should prevent this from happening.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
should I still take her for stitches on Wednesday or just watch for infection?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also have some leftover cipro 250 mg tablets from when my border collie had surgery. They expire next month. Would that be good for her?

That's a tough question to answer with certainty. You may find that the wound is healing quite nicely and, therefore, wouldn't need sutures.

If it's infected, then your vet might not want to suture it since the sutures are less likely to hold to edges together.

There's not a lot of extra skin on the limbs so trying to close the edges together and getting them to stay may be quite difficult.

Cipro is a bit of overkill for this sort of wound but would definitely be an excellent antibiotic for a skin wound of this sort. Let me figure out a dose for her. Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also have prednisone left too if that would help 20 mg

I dose a dog this size with 1.5 tablets of the 250 mg size once a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

I'd probably treat for at least 4-5 days or perhaps longer depending on what the wound looks like. If you start her on antibiotics now, you may not a vet visit unless to confirm that healing is taking place as it should.

Please don't give her pred as this will retard healing; it's not at all a drug which would be used in this situation. Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much.

You're more than welcome; glad that I could help.

Best of luck with her. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian