Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate chocolate chips, oscar 13, he weighs 25 pounds

my dog ate chocolate chips JA...
my dog ate chocolate chips
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: oscar 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about oscar?
Customer: he weighs 25 pounds
10/8/2016
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog ate chocolate tonight. How many chocolate chips did he eat?

I would recommend making him vomit tonight to minimize the risk of chocolate toxicity. You can give him 1 to 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide by mouth and he should vomit within 5 to 15 minutes.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
maybe half a bag 12 oz bag and half is gone

He definitely needs to vomit tonight. How is that going?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
should he be ok after he throws up?

Yes. Once the chocolate is out of his system he will be fine. Without vomiting, though, he may get really sick. The signs of chocolate toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, high heart rate and high blood pressure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we just gave it to him
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not sure if we got enough hydrogen peroxide
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
in him
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how much can he get?

2 to 3 tablespoons should do it. Wait a few minutes, it can take 5 to 15 minutes to vomit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will you stay with me until it he gets sick?

Yes, I am here. I'll be online about 45 more minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I just hope we got enough in him to make him throw-up.

You can give another tablespoon if there is no vomiting after 15 minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he still has not thrown up. Should we give him another dose?

Yes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can he get to much

No. The peroxide turns into water and oxygen bubbles. It is the irritation from the bubbles that causes the vomiting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hydrogen peroxide

yes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hes just not much down. we are using a tube and pouring it into his mouth.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry, getting

That works. Syringe, turkey baster, spooning it in. It all works.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What should we do it he does not vomit? We have given him more.

Do you have a local animal emergency room near you?

They should be able to give him an injection to make him vomit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but it's like 800 dollars for a visit
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We can take him to our vet in the morning?

Does he get car sick? You can drive him around for a while.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sometimes

If you wait until morning he would have absorbed all of the chocolate and will be sick for sure.

You can try shaking his belly around while he is standing. That also works sometimes.

I am getting ready to log off for the night.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you for your time

I will check on you in the morning.

Best of luck getting Oscar to vomit.

Dr. Amanda

How's it going? Did your dog ever vomit? Did you end up taking him to the ER last night? Any problems?

Dr. Amanda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We took him to the emergency vet. They gave him an injection to make him vomit. They gave him charcoal and fluids. He's doing great now. Thanks for asking.

That is great news. I am sorry to hear that the hydrogen peroxide didn't work, but it sounds like the injection worked well. I am glad to hear that he is back to normal.

Have a great weekend,

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian