How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Amanda Your Own Question
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 799
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Amanda is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate chocolate chips, oscar 13, he weighs 25 pounds

This answer was rated:

my dog ate chocolate chips
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: oscar 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about oscar?
Customer: he weighs 25 pounds

Hi,

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog ate chocolate tonight. How many chocolate chips did he eat?

I would recommend making him vomit tonight to minimize the risk of chocolate toxicity. You can give him 1 to 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide by mouth and he should vomit within 5 to 15 minutes.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
maybe half a bag 12 oz bag and half is gone

He definitely needs to vomit tonight. How is that going?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
should he be ok after he throws up?

Yes. Once the chocolate is out of his system he will be fine. Without vomiting, though, he may get really sick. The signs of chocolate toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, high heart rate and high blood pressure.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we just gave it to him
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
not sure if we got enough hydrogen peroxide
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
in him
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how much can he get?

2 to 3 tablespoons should do it. Wait a few minutes, it can take 5 to 15 minutes to vomit.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
will you stay with me until it he gets sick?

Yes, I am here. I'll be online about 45 more minutes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. I just hope we got enough in him to make him throw-up.

You can give another tablespoon if there is no vomiting after 15 minutes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, thanks.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he still has not thrown up. Should we give him another dose?

Yes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will do.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can he get to much

No. The peroxide turns into water and oxygen bubbles. It is the irritation from the bubbles that causes the vomiting.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hydrogen peroxide

yes

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hes just not much down. we are using a tube and pouring it into his mouth.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry, getting

That works. Syringe, turkey baster, spooning it in. It all works.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What should we do it he does not vomit? We have given him more.

Do you have a local animal emergency room near you?

They should be able to give him an injection to make him vomit.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but it's like 800 dollars for a visit
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We can take him to our vet in the morning?

Does he get car sick? You can drive him around for a while.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sometimes

If you wait until morning he would have absorbed all of the chocolate and will be sick for sure.

You can try shaking his belly around while he is standing. That also works sometimes.

I am getting ready to log off for the night.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you for your time

I will check on you in the morning.

Best of luck getting Oscar to vomit.

Dr. Amanda

Hi,

How's it going? Did your dog ever vomit? Did you end up taking him to the ER last night? Any problems?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We took him to the emergency vet. They gave him an injection to make him vomit. They gave him charcoal and fluids. He's doing great now. Thanks for asking.

That is great news. I am sorry to hear that the hydrogen peroxide didn't work, but it sounds like the injection worked well. I am glad to hear that he is back to normal.

Have a great weekend,

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you